Many people choose to make funeral and burial arrangements for themselves in advance. Preplanning, or pre-arrangement, allows YOU to determine how your final arrangements will be carried out, thus reducing family concerns down the road. When you preplan, you have as much time as you need to make well-informed decisions, and to talk about these decisions with your family. In addition, preplanning can offer valuable financial benefits.
When you pre-arrange for yourself, you’ll personally choose the service options most desirable to you. One of our funeral directors will be happy to visit your home at your request. Or, you can stop by our facilities at anytime. Together, we’ll determine your specific needs, discuss your service and funding options, and handle the necessary paperwork.
To request more information regarding preplanning/pre-arrangement, or to begin the preplanning process, please call at (415) 970-8801.
Summary of Benefits
Planning your funeral arrangements in advance can offer you and your family a number of benefits:
- More Time to Consider Your Options – You and your family will have time to research your options and make well-informed decisions, without feeling rushed.
- A Sense of Accomplishment – You’ll feel good knowing that these arrangements have been taken care of.
- Fewer Family Concerns - Your surviving family members will have less to worry about in the event of your death.
- The Option to Prepay – When you prepay, you can lock in today’s prices. Our funeral director will explain each payment method and investment option available, and will help you make a decision that best suits you and your family.
- Your Family Keeps More – When you prepay, your estate will owe nothing on funeral expenses. More of your assets and life insurance proceeds will go directly to your family.
- Save the Amount You Need – Once you gain an understanding of all the costs involved, you can earmark a portion of your savings to cover those costs.
- Fewer Last-minute Expenses – When you plan in advance, your family is less likely to incur additional expenses at the time of the funeral.
To request more information regarding preplanning/pre-arrangement, or to begin the preplanning process, please call our pre-arrangement counselor, Ruben Noboa at 415-797-2532.
Pre-Arrangement Frequently Asked Questions
What is Preplanning, or pre-arrangement? When you plan in advance, you are making choices now based on your wishes as to how your final arrangements will be carried out. Thus, you can reduce family concerns at the time of your death.
What do I need to do to preplan a funeral? At your convenience, you can meet with one of our funeral directors to discuss your options and your preferences. Funeral arrangements usually include professional services, transportation services, embalming and other preparation, facilities for visitation, the funeral ceremony, and funeral vehicles. Funeral merchandise includes a casket, outer burial container, and other associated items. The cemetery decisions include property, committal service, and memorialization. There are nearly 70 decisions that must be made when there is a death in the family. By making most of these decisions now, you can offer your family peace of mind, and also benefit financially.
What are the advantages of advanced planning? There are many advantages when you take care of your final arrangements in advance. The most obvious benefit is financial, but there are a number of emotional benefits, too. When you make arrangements in advance you have a better opportunity to make informed choices. If you decide to prepay, you guarantee today's prices, and can take advantage of affordable payment plans. We can provide additional professional advice on preplanning and prepaying.
What is the difference between prepaying and preplanning? When you preplan, you do not need to pay for everything in advance—your estate can pay for the services at the rates being charged when your funeral is held. When your plan is complete, the funeral director will keep it on file until it is needed. However, if you prepay at the time you make your pre-arrangements, you can lock in today’s prices. We offer several affordable payment and investment options. We’ll be happy to discuss these options with you and help you make a decision that best suits your needs.
What if my family moves out of the area before I die? Do we lose the money we paid? Should you move outside of our service area, your funeral plan provides those funds for your funeral at the funeral home of your choice. Driscoll's will try to assist you in securing the same services from a funeral director in your new community, but we cannot guarantee the service prices of another funeral establishment.